27 Kasım 2012 Salı

Thanksgiving Thoughts

To contact us Click HERE
Back in the summer, when I told my sister Jayne of our upcoming move back to Kansas, one of her first remarks was, "Great!  Now you can host the family Thanksgiving dinner. . .for the next ten years!"  Since we've missed being part of the family Thanksgiving dinners for most of the last seventeen years, I said I would be happy to do so, but we'll see how that plays out.  We're thankful to be settled in our new home, and thankful that we'll be joined by thirteen guests as we gather around our tables in celebration of our abundant blessings.

I'll be cooking the turkey a day ahead, a "trick" I learned while working at the rescue mission.  After de-boning the turkey, I'll place the meat in a pan and cover with a generous amount of broth, then cover with foil and refrigerate. Tomorrow, I'll heat the turkey in a 300 degree oven for about one hour.  Done this way, the meat is so moist and tender, and I like having that messy job done in advance.  (Of course, this won't appeal to those who like the thrill of seeing the golden turkey come out of the oven just in time for dinner.)  In our family, the turkey doesn't seem to garner as much concern as the variety of pies that will be present. I've been told that we'll have pumpkin, cherry, strawberry-rhubarb, white peach-raspberry, and pear-cranberry. I'm trying to decide what flavor I should add to the mix.  I'll post pictures of the beauties later on.  :)

I want to share this Puritan prayer from The Valley of Vision, remembering it's not just about being thankful, but thanking the One in whom we "live and move and have our being" (Acts 17:28).  
O My God,
You fairest, greatest, first of all objects,
My heart admires, adores, loves You,
For my little vessel is as full as it can be,
And I would pour out all that fullness before You in ceaseless flow.
When I think upon and converse with You
Ten thousand delightful thoughts spring up,
Ten thousand sources of pleasure are unsealed,
Ten thousand refreshing joys spread over my heart,
Crowding into every moment of happiness.
I bless You for the soul You have created,
For adorning it, for sanctifying it,
Though it is fixed in barren soil;
For the body You have given me,
For preserving its strength and vigor,
For providing senses to enjoy delights,
For the ease and freedom of limbs,
For hands, eyes, ears that do Your bidding;
For Your royal bounty providing my daily support,
For a full table and overflowing cup,
For appetite, taste, sweetness,
For social joys of relatives and friends,
For ability to serve others,
For a heart that feels sorrows and necessities,
For a mind to care for my fellow-men,
For opportunities of spreading happiness around,
For loved ones in the joys of heaven,
For my own expectation of seeing You clearly.
I love You above the powers of language to express,
For what You are to Your creatures.
Increase my love, O my God, through time and eternity.

Wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!  

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder